Acid Rain Assignment
1. In your own words, explain what is Acid rain? (2 points)
Acid rain is precipitation that has become acidic from pollutants being released into the atmosphere. It would be acidic when the pH is less than 7. Acid rain can cause damage to the environment and aquatic life.
2. Give three examples of the pollutants in the air that causes the acid rain? (2
Three examples of the air pollutants are nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, and sulfur dioxide.
3. What are the main sources of acid rain pollutants? (1 point)
The main sources of acid rain pollutants are fossil fuels that are used for electricity, mainly from large power plants, and the exhaust from motor vehicles.
4. Give three examples of natural sources of gaseous acidic oxides? (2 points)
One example of a natural source of gaseous acidic oxides is volcanic emissions or the acidic gases that are produced by them. Another example of a natural source that produces these gases is wildfires. Lastly, decaying vegetation and biological processes in the environment can produce harmful gases that go into the atmosphere and influence acid rain.
5. How can you explain acid rain problems in areas that do not produce
pollution? (2 points)
There are still acid rain problems in areas that do not produce pollution because when it gets in the atmosphere it can be precipitated onto these areas. The acid rain can b