EDU 145 NT 1-Child Development II
Final Exam Study Guide
1. What was Vygotskys belief regarding the role of a teacher? Vygotsky developed a unique theory of social learning to understand how people learn in a social setting. He discovered that teachers could control a wide range of factors in the classroom, including tasks, behaviors, and responses.
2. Is TV always a negative influence on children? Yes
3. What are the statistics regarding emotional and behavior disorders when comparing boys and girls? Boys are more likely than girls to have an emotional disturbance. By a factor of 3.5 to one, boys outnumber girls.
4. Can young children remember a lot of information if given clues? Yes
5. The average child grows 2 inches in height and gains between 3 and 4 pounds a year during early childhood.
6. When a child should be able to skip while alternating feet? 2 years old
7. Fine motor skills include the childs ability to stack cubes, reach for objects, and draw a person.
8. Sustained attention involves action planning, allocating attention to goals, error detection and compensation, monitoring progress on tasks, and dealing with novel or difficult circumstances.
9. What types of emotional and behavior disorders exist in middle and late childhood? Anxiety disorders, Bipolar disorder, Psychotic disorders, and obsessive-compulsive disorder.
10. What is the function of the school? Schools instill discipline in students, transforming them into productive members of society. In school, children learn the difference between what is right and wrong. Schools instill societal cultural values. Skills that will help children succeed in the labor market can be learned in school.
11. What role do peer relations play in a childs development? contributes to the social connection, communal relationship, and interpersonal skills of a child
12. What is mainstreaming? A student with special educational needs is integrated into a regular class or school.
13. Do adolescence explore sex? Yes
14. How does the rate of adolescent drug use in the U.S. compare with other industrial nations? Adolescent drug use in the United States is among the highest of any industrialized country. In recent years, adolescent alcohol and tobacco consumption has decreased.
15. Are adolescents increasing their use of contraceptives? No
16.True or False? Gardners Eight Frames of Mind are: verbal, mathematical, spatial, bodily-kinesthetic, musical, playfulness, restfulness, naturalist. True
17. What is the practice of positive parenting? Parenting practices that promote the growth of children's core internal strengths
18. What are some of the ways in which a childs self-esteem can be increased? Let kids help and give
19. What are some effective strategies for improving relationships among ethnically diver