Potential Physiological And Psychological Impact A Mass Casualty Event (Essay Sample)
1. Describe the potential physiological and psychological impact a mass casualty event may have on first responders. Research an actual event and describe the details of both in that incident.
2. Research a recent mass casualty incident in which decontamination was necessary. Explain the details of the event and the procedures used by the responders to handle the situation. Would you have handled the situation differently? If so, how?
MASS CASULTY EVENT
1 Describe the potential physiological and psychological impact a mass casualty event may have on first responders. Research an actual event and describe the details of both in that incident.
When disaster strikes it leaves behind destruction including casualties. Mass casualty event is when the number of casualties goes beyond the available resources. It is not necessarily the number of people but the resources available to handle the situation. There are various physiological and psychological effects of mass casualty. Responders may suffer from stress as they strive to fight the disaster. This can lead to mental or physical stress (Garcia, 2011). As the first responders run up and down to salvage the situation they can develop stress due to the overwhelming rescue work.
First responders are also likely to be traumatized in their rescue mission. The event can easily turn to a traumatic event because the responders encounter shocking and life threatening incidences that leave them traumatized. This may lead to fatigue, problem while sleeping, and withdrawal from people and change in eating habits (Everly, 2008). This can enter fear with the normal functioning of the body.
In the September 11th 2001 attack in America, the images and videos of what happened in the disaster affects those who were on the front line to date. If the videos are played again the first responders who saw the situation at first end up being affected psychologically (Policeone, 2017). This implies the first responders are exposed to horrible images. Another thing is effects caused by direct exposure to substances found in the dust. This has affected their physiology and they are still suffering. Some of the first fire fighters on the ground are likely to be diagnosed with cancer. Many people who were first responders in the September 2001 attack have been diagnosed with various illnesses as a result of the attack (Wilkinson, 2016). This indicates that mass casualty event has devastating physiological and psychological effects on first responders.
2. Research a recent mass casualty incident in which decontamination was necessary. Explain the details of the event and the procedures used by the responders to handle the situation. Would you have handled the situation differently? If so, h
- Research About the Major Recent World Projects: MarmarayDescription: When looking at the major projects in the world, the Marmaray tunnel project in the Turkish city of Istanbul can never be forgotten...1 page/≈275 words| 2 Sources | APA | Literature & Language | Essay |
- Child Health CareDescription: Psychological perspective of Child health care Literature and Language Essay...5 pages/≈1375 words| APA | Literature & Language | Essay |
- Life Term AssuranceDescription: What visual aid(s) do you think could be useful and why? You should include 3 in your presentation. What aids will assist you to engage and educate the client?...1 page/≈275 words| APA | Literature & Language | Essay |