Transcultural Healthcare Models Research Assignemnt (Research Paper Sample)
Diversity has a significant influence on health care. Studying transcultural health care helps health professionals understand different cultures in order to provide holistic and individualized health care. Review the Purnell Model for Cultural Competence, including the theory, framework and 12 domains. Write 750 word paper exploring the Purnell Model for Cultural Competence. Include the following:
1. Explain the theory and organizational framework of the Purnell Model, and discuss its relevance to transcultural health care.
2. Describe Purnell's 12 domains of culture, and assess how each of these domains plays an active role in the diversity of health care in your specific field.
3. Discuss how this model can be applied when working with different cultures in order to become a more culturally competent health care provider.
4. Cite at least three references, including the course textbook.
Prepare this assignment according to the APA guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
Transcultural Healthcare Models
Transcultural Healthcare Models
The United States is becoming more culturally and racially diverse due to the increase of the minority groups; this has a significant impact on the healthcare system. Research indicates that there is greater need to diversify the healthcare system in order to achieve greater competence by meeting the diverse needs of the population (Loftin, Hartin, Branson, & Reyes, 2013). Cultural competence refers to the capacity of a healthcare facility to provide culturally diverse and appropriate care. Purnell’s model is one of the healthcare models designed to provide culturally competent healthcare CITATION Pur05 \l 1033 (Purnell, 2005). This research discusses the Purnell’s model for cultural competence by explaining the theory and organizational frameworks, the relevance of the model to transcultural healthcare, as well as the 12 domains of culture and the application of the model.
Thesis statement: The Purnell’s model plays a significant role in diversifying healthcare and gives the healthcare system a competitive edge.
Theory and Organizational Framework of the Purnell Model
Purnell Model of Cultural Competence is meant to enhance cultural competence among healthcare professionals in primary, secondary, and tertiary domains of healthcare CITATION Dog16 \l 1033 (Dogu, Coskun, Uzen, & Ulay, 2016). Purnell’s model views culture as a totality of social behavioral explicit or implicit patterns, beliefs, customs, lifestyle, values, and other humanistic characteristics and thoughts that guide the decisions and worldview of a group of people. Purnell (2005) indicates that culture has a significant influence on healthcare since in a given culture there exist several distinct subcultures that should be considered in healthcare practice. For example, sexual orientation, age, economic status, marital status, insurance status, and gender CITATION Pur05 \l 1033 (Purnell, 2005). The model was designed to assess appropriate culture to be used across various disciplines and practices through understanding ethnocultural diversity. A circle with concentric rims represents the framework of the model; the outer rim represents the global society, followed by the community, family, and the person. The interior of the circle is further divided into 12 sectors representing cultural domains CITATION Pur05 \l 1033 (Purnell, 2005). The dark center indicates unknown cultural phenomena while the jagged line is the cultural consciousness.
Purnell Model’s Relevance to Transcultural Health Care
The model’s purpose involves:
* Providing an effective framework to healthcare providers to enhance the learning of cultural characteristics
* Describing an individual’s cultural perspectives
* Providing a link between cultures to improve congruence among them and facilitate culture-sensitive health care
According to Dogu et al. (2016), cultural beliefs determine health behaviors and individual’s needs to change depending on his/her culture. The model facilitates healthcare by allowing cultural integration.
Purnell's 12 Domains of Culture
1 Overview, topography, and localities: This refers to concepts that are related to residence, topographical effects of one’s native country, economical, educational and political factors CITATION Pur05 \l 1033 (Purnell, 2005). This concept helps in identifying appropriate treatment by considering socio-economic factors and the patient’s medical history related to his/her background.
2 Communication: This concept refers to language and dialects, use of language, intonations, transparency, sharing of thoughts, non-verbal communications, perceptions, and socialization. Effective communication in healthcare enhances collaboration and reduces risks of malpractice or negligence.
3 Roles of families and organizations refer to gender and family roles in a household, social status, and views about family and societal issues CITATION Pur05 \l 1033 (Purnell, 2005). In nursing care, families play a significant role; family members give insight into patient’s medical history, religious and cultural beliefs that promote culture-sensitive care.
4 Workforce issues: These refer to autonomy, communication, professional and gender roles, and healthcare practices. Handover issues and ethical and professional responsibilities promote quality healthcare.
5 Bio-cultural ecology: This refers to ethnic and racial variations in physical and biological characteristics. A diverse workforce and client base improves the quality of care since there is a wide range of factors to be considered during the medical practice.
6 High-risk behaviors: This refers to drug use and unhealthy lifestyles that increase the risk of illness or health complications CITATION Pur05 \l 1033 (Purnell, 2005). This concept enlightens healthcare facilities on cultural behaviors and common health issues in order to develop the effective medical intervention.
7 Nutrition: This refers to having enough food and the knowledge of he...
- Transcultural Healthcare Models Research AssignemntDescription: Describe Purnell's 12 domains of culture, and assess how each of these domains plays an active role in the diversity of health care in your specific field...3 pages/≈825 words| 3 Sources | APA | Biological & Biomedical Sciences | Research Paper |
- Engineering 183EW: The Main Technological Advantage Of Dna EngineeringDescription: DNA engineering, whether it be related to food and humans, has been a controversial topic in 21st century. Since the first identification of genes in the mid-1800s, scientists have come very far....36 pages/≈9900 words| 68 Sources | APA | Biological & Biomedical Sciences | Research Paper |
- Mobile Phones And Microbial Cross-ContaminationDescription: Mobile Phones And Microbial Cross-Contamination Biological & Biomedical Sciences Research Paper...4 pages/≈1100 words| 9 Sources | APA | Biological & Biomedical Sciences | Research Paper |