A Relationship Between The Environment & Psychopathology Of The Child (Article Critique Sample)
Students will select and review an qualitative article. Your article should be based on your research interests.
For each article, you will include the following:
• Complete citation: Full title, all authors (last name, initials), full journal title, year, volume# and page #s
(this ensures that a different person can retrieve the article). Ex:
Ledesma, M. C., & Calderón, D. (2015). Critical race theory in education: A review of past literature and a look to the
future. Qualitative Inquiry, 21(3), 206-222.
• The study purpose and research question(s): A clear statement helps determine if the topic is
important or relevant.
• Literature review: Describe the research included. What gap does this article/study plan on filling?
• Study Design: Was the study design appropriate for this article/research? Consider the following and
describe how they were used:
o Grounded theory
o Participatory action research
o Other study designs
• Qualitative methods: Does the study describe the methods used? Was the method appropriate for
the study design? How?
o Participant observation
o Focus Groups
o Historical Research
o Other qualitative methods
• Sampling: How were participants relevant to the research question and how were they selected?
• Data collection: Was there a complete description of the site, participants?
• Data analysis: Was the analysis inductive and the findings adequately corroborated?
• Findings: Were the findings consistent with and reflective of data?
1 Complete Article Citation: Full title, all authors (last name, initials), full journal title, year, volume# and page #s (this ensures that a different person can retrieve the article)
McCrory, E., De Brito, S. A., & Viding, E. (2012). The link between child abuse and psychopathology: a review of neurobiological and genetic research. Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, 105(4), 151-156.
2 The study purpose and research question(s): A clear statement helps determine if the topic is important or relevant.
The study was aimed at understanding the relationship between the environment and the development of the psychopathological condition in the child. The environment according to the research and the nature of the abuse have an impact on the condition that the child develops in the long run.
3 Literature review: Describe the research included. What gap does this article/study plan on filling?
A review by McCrory E, De Brito SA, Viding E, (2015) reveled that different forms of child abuse and stress have different impacts on the neuroendocrine function of the brain of the child and these have an impact on the development of the child. This research was aimed at eliminating biological factor that might predispose the child to development of social, psychopathic and health problems which are known to be cause by either physical violation or another environmental factor in the child's life.
Early adversity and economic wellbeing of the individual might be because of the physical abuse and violation of the child. This is according to a research that was carried out by two different team, Gilbert R, Widom CS, Browne K, et al, (2009) and Currie J, Widom CS. (2010) on the long-term effect and consequences of child abuse on the adult and later life of the child. The two researches contribute to the fact that there is a correlation that exists between the child's violation and the future adversity or early future adversity onset. Understanding the different environment where the child is exposed to either violence or abuse is important in determining the impact the child would suffer in future. There is a correlative approach that reveal the likelihood of these abuse influencing the success or lifestyle of the child in future.
4 Study Design: Was the study design appropriate for this article/research? Consider the following and describe how they were used: Ethnography, phenomenology, grounded theory, participatory action research, other study designs
The study design was based on participatory action research where the researcher used information on the different cases of recorded abuses on the child and analyzed it to relate it to the status of the victim. Since the recorded cases were achieved, this provided informative and significant data for the research. A sense of ethnography was slo used in this research to distinguish the different levels of abuse and the outcome of the victim in their future.
5 Qualitative methods: Does the study describe the methods used? Was the method appropriate for the study design? How? (Participant ob
- Legal Structure of BusinessDescription: Legal Structure of Business Business and Marketing Article Critique...2 pages/≈550 words| APA | Business & Marketing | Article Critique |
- Quality System LLBDescription: This study investigated the ISO certification effects on performance of workmanship used in the construction of industry in the case study...7 pages/≈1925 words| APA | Business & Marketing | Article Critique |
- Analyzing The Complex Relationship Between Local Business Conditions And The Global Commerci. . .Description: This course assignment has made it apparent that businesses should be diverse on their marketing tactics by embracing current tactics like social media...1 page/≈275 words| No Sources | APA | Business & Marketing | Article Critique |