SCI 115 Week 5 Assignment 1 - Biology Article (Article Sample)
SCI 115 Week 5 Assignment 1 - Biology Article
Assignment 1: Biology Article
Use the Internet and / or the Strayer Learning Resource Center to research aspects of biology.
Select one (1) article from a magazine or newspaper that has something in it that pertains to biology. This will serve as the âtarget articleâ for this assignment. For instance, you can select an article about medicine, invasive species, nature, conservation, genetic technology, ecology, or any other topic that is related to biology. One purpose of this assignment is to help you become aware of how biology is related to your everyday life.
Write a one to three (1-3) page paper in which you:
1. Summarize the article in one (1) or more paragraphs, using your own words. Be sure to identify the article using an in-text citation in the body of the paper, as well as a reference in the reference section.
2. Explain how the article relates to this course. Identify which biological concepts from the course and / or text are relevant to the topic covered in the article. Citing the course text, discuss the ways in which this course does (or doesnât) provide background information to help you understand the article and the larger issues surrounding it.
3. Explain why the article caught your attention. Relate the article to your life and to issues that are important to you. Discuss how or if the scientific knowledge about the topic covered in the article affects you directly or indirectly.
Nutrient-Control for GM Bacteria
I have selected the article, ‘Nutrient-Control for GM Bacteria’. This article lies in the category of genetic technology and it talks about ways genetically modified bacteria can get utilized as a new management/control measure in protecting against the wild organisms as well as ecosystems against any accidental release. Besides, these genetically modified bacteria can’t live/survive unless it gets offered unnatural amino acids. The article also talks of how researchers are searching for new methods and ways of preventing all organisms that are built or modified in the laboratory from escaping/evading to the wild, For example, Andrew Ellington from the University of Texas did propose a new remedy/solution to resolve the issue. They proposed that the development of the genetically modified E. coli strain can just be limited in case the environment didn’t have the NCAAs (unnatural/ non-canonical, animal acids). Moreover, the article illustrates that the scientists ought to establish bio-safety features which will make sure that when a thing is already created in the laboratory, it won’t be able to escape, and in case it does, then it won’t survive/stay alive (Akst, 2016).
The article then relates to the course since it brings out various ways genetically modified bacteria may get controlled from our environment. For instance, the article highlights various solutions that can be significant in the control of nutrient for the Genetically Modified Bacteria. Besides, the biological concepts that tend to be relevant to the subject/topic covered in this article comprise of amino acid, and NCAAs (non-canonical, animal acids) (Akst, 2016). This course gives me the background information to enhance and improve my understanding concerning this specific article as well as the larger problems and issues surrounding it, for instance, amid the coursework we did a study about the utilization of antibiotics and amino acids.
In addition, the reasons why this article did catch my attention are because am at all times interested in understanding and knowing how the genetically modified bacteria may get controlled or restricted from the environment. Moreover, I would like to understand how they did co
- Adipose-derived stem cells. Biological & Biomedical Sciences ArticleDescription: Adipose tissue or fat is a loose connective tissue derived from the mesoderm composed of adipocytes and a stromal population containing microvascular endothelial cells, smooth muscle, and stem cells....4 pages/≈1100 words| 19 Sources | APA | Biological & Biomedical Sciences | Article |
- Co-culture Systmes. Biological & Biomedical Sciences ArticleDescription: A co-culture is the culture of multiple, distinct cell types, directly or indirectly, within the same culture environment, where the populations of cultivated cells grow with a certain degree of contact between them (Paschos et al., 2014)....3 pages/≈825 words| 19 Sources | APA | Biological & Biomedical Sciences | Article |
- Benefits of Green Tea. Biological & Biomedical Sciences ArticleDescription: Tea is the most frequently consumed beverage worldwide after water (Chen and Lin, 2015). It is well known that the tea plant originated from Southern China, North India, Myanmar, and Cambodia (Hicks, 2001)....5 pages/≈1375 words| 80 Sources | APA | Biological & Biomedical Sciences | Article |