An Analysis Of The Mental Health Status Of A Specific Client (Case Study Sample)
The task was to use Use relevant literature to critically discuss the mental health status of the client in the case study. The sample is about a case study analysis of the mental health status of a client name Chung.source..
The mental state examination (MSE) is a key part of the clinical analysis process in the practice of psychiatry. It is an organized way of watching and describing a patient's mental functioning at a given moment in time, under the sections of attitude, appearance, speech, mood, behavior, perception, though content, though process, insight, cognition, affect, and judgment. The objective of the MSE is to get a complete cross-sectional account of the patient's mental state, which, when integrated with the historical and biographical data of the psychiatric background, permits the clinician to come up with an accurate prognosis and formulation, which are needed for reasonable treatment planning (Finney, Minagar, and Heilman, 2016).
General Observation and Appearance
These components present the examiner with an overall picture of the patient. The patient's bodily appearance (stated age vs. apparent), posture (erect), eye contact (furtive/direct), dress (riotous/subdued), and posture (upright) are all relevant observations. In the case study, the client has limited eye contact, and his posture on the chair is not upright. Furthermore, weight loss could as well signify physical illness, depressive disorder, and anxiety. In the case study, the client has lost five kilos in weight in the previous month because of low appetite and missed meals.
Mood and Affect
Affect is the patient's instant indication of emotion. The mood is the more prolonged emotional composition of the patient's character. Patients show a span affect that may be explained as wide, confined, easily altered, or flat. Both of mood and affect can be described as euphoric (suggesting a pathologically raised sense of well-being), euthymic (sane), or dysphoric (guilt, anxiety, depression). In the case study, the client has been feeling low in mood and extreme anxiety in the past six weeks.
Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition
The question the American Psychiatric Association have been contemplating while organizing the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) is, what is a mental disorder? Well, its factors include:
* A psychological or behavioral pattern or syndrome that is occurring in an individual.
* Mirrors a concealed psychobiological abnormality.
* The outcomes of which are clinically importance anguish of disability.
* Should not be purely an anticipated response to common losses and stressors or a culturally approved reaction to a particular incident.
If one considers the first two factors, then a mental disorder would be a psychological or behavioral pattern or syndrome that occurs in a person reflecting psychobiological abnormality or dysfunction. In 2015, Thyer Bruce wrote an article titled ‘The DSM-5 Definition of Mental Disorder: Critique and Alternatives' in which he says that for a state to be considered a mental disorder, its cause ought to be mentally related, not only represent a state that harmfully results to mental functioning and indeed distress can be caused by a number of factors. In our case study, the client is having rough nights at work whereby he may even go without sleep. The health of his wife worries him and he spends little time with his newborn daughter. All these factors cause distress in the client.
Stress Vulnerability Model
The two crucial questions facing both mental health experts and families in which one member has a mental disorder are: What is causing the disorder? And what effects the best result? Scientists at this moment have no precise comprehension of why some people develop a mental disorder and others do not. Nevertheless, scientists devised a general theory to describe the causes of these disorders and their progression over time known as the stress-vulnerability model. There are two main factors- stress and biological vulnerability-several other factors influence them. Individuals have some control over these other factors and they include medication usage, coping skills, alcohol and drug usage, and significant activities.
If one is vulnerable to something, it means that one is more likely to be affected by it. For instance, some individuals might be biologically vulnerable to some physical diseases such as asthma of heart disease. Maybe the disease is running in the family, or maybe something in one's life is setting them up. Some individuals are vulnerable to some mental disorders: major depression, anxiety disorders, or bipolar disorder. A combination of factors such as stress, genetics, birth complications, and early experiences of abuse or the loss of a parent in childhood. This is the reason why some families are likely to have some members with a certain mental disorder (Nixon, Liddle, Nixon, & Worwood, 2014). In the case study, the client found their wedding day emotionally painful since her parent could not afford to travel to their son's wedding. Another reason is that the client finds his in-laws spend much time with her daughter more than him and he feels he has let his family down.
Stress in the surrounding can aggravate biological vulnerability, aggravate sym
- Discharge And Self Management Of Colorectal CancerDescription: This article also provides information regarding the discharge plan John can follow after leaving the hospital and the self-management plan he can follow to ensure that he fully completes his active treatment....9 pages/≈2475 words| 15 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Case Study |
- Medicine / Nursing Case Involving Claims of NegligenceDescription: A drug overdose can be said to occur in a patient if the physician administers an amount of a drug exceeding the conventional prescription...2 pages/≈550 words| 1 Source | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Case Study |
- Do you Give your Childhood Balanced Diet? Case Assignment Description: Critical indicator clear from the information given is that Maya has developmental problems because she is not developing like other children from same area...3 pages/≈825 words| 3 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Case Study |