Guidelines for Conducting Preliminary Investigation of Criminal Nature (Coursework Sample)
Preliminary investigations are undertaken to assess whether a crime did occur. Thus, it
involved gathering, preparing, preserving, and analysing evidence from a scene to assess
whether a crime occurred. The information is collected at the first stages of the investigation
and thus need to be backed with more information since criminal investigation are bound to
conviction on bases of “beyond reasonable doubt” (Borum, 1996). This necessitates for
follow-up investigation to clear all doubts associated with the crime.
WEEK 3 ASSIGNMENT
CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATION
Preliminary investigations are undertaken to assess whether a crime did occur. Thus, it involved gathering, preparing, preserving, and analysing evidence from a scene to assess whether a crime occurred. The information is collected at the first stages of the investigation and thus need to be backed with more information since criminal investigation are bound to conviction on bases of “beyond reasonable doubt” (Borum, 1996). This necessitates for follow-up investigation to clear all doubts associated with the crime. Thus, the current analysis will drill into processes and facets of crime scene investigations.
Guidelines for conducting preliminary investigation of criminal nature
Criminal cases are different from civil cases on bases and the extent to which evidence is needed. A criminal case will require the prosecutor to prove beyond reasonable doubt that a criminal offences did transpire before conviction. Thus, they need to lay all necessary facts without a doubt. The first step is to obtain proper care for the injured party. For instance, take them to hospital in a case of robbery with violence (Borum, 1996). The officer should assess the scene of unusual item, and anything around the victim that could be used for the case. Then, they should determine if a crime occurred, and thus take an enforcement action. The officer will make sure they secure the crime scene so that they preserve evidence. Later, witnesses should be interviewed. Finally, they should compile a report to be used as a base for post-crime analysis (Panner, 2012).
Importance of computer-aided investigation
Computers are a great source of information that would be useful for investigation purposed. For instance, use of computer forensics examinations helps in recovery of data that had earlier been hidden (Turvey, 2014). Thus, it helps in retrieval of data that was not found during the preliminary as it had been seized. Hence, it gives back-up information to the investigations, provides more evidence, and thus helps eliminate doubt into existence of a criminal offense (Anuszkiewicz, 2004). The follow-up investigations are used to gather more necessary data to the crime. Thus computer-aid would a useful tool since retrieval of the data would add more facts to the case.
Means of reporting crime
The nature of the crime determines how it should be reported. There are wide range of difference on how one crime is reported from another of a different nature (Turvey, 2014). For instance, there would be a difference in reporting of crime of sexual harassment and domestic violence.
For the sexual harassment some crimes would fall under civil cases, while others would quality to be criminal cases. Assault in form of physical biting qualifies to be a criminal offense. Therefore, reporting a sexual harassment need qualification of whether it qualifies for crime while physical biting in domestic violence directly qualify for a crime. Although both may be to the same person, physical domestic violence can be seen from wounds, while sexual harassment need be scientifically proofed.
In both cases, the victim need be protected and proof for physical damage obtained from a hospital. Both cases may require post-investigation to the case as well as witness statements. However, both crimes have widely remained underwater since most crimes are not reported. Both are also hard to determine since they could be self-interest driven.
Characteristics of effective investigators
It is key to have investigators who get to the matter and who get credible information that would quality to be reported. Consequently, qualify a crime. Therefore, the main characteristics of a good investigator include;
* A good investigator need to practice professional ethics. This is to ensure all information obtained is credible, accurate, and can be relied on. In addition, they should ensure confidentiality of information gathered. Also, they should ensure independence at work thus not receive bribes to eliminate some information that may convict the perpetrator (O’Neill & Milne, 2014).
* A good investigator should be genuine. This is an important aspect most especially for the private investigator, so that they can be able to acquire all m
- Possession and Use of Drugs Description: The use of drugs and alcohol has been a major topic of discussion for a long time. Regulations are set aside to ensure that the harmful impacts of drugs such as accidents, assaults, and deaths are greatly reduced. But does the possession and use of drugs or alcohol be a crime? This is an ethical dilemma ...1 page/≈275 words| 4 Sources | APA | Social Sciences | Coursework |
- Report Summary on Memphis RiotsDescription: The report was prepared by Col. Charles F. Johnson, Inspector General States of Ky. And Tennessee and Major T. W. Gilbreth, A. D. C. To Maj. Genl. Howard, Commissioner Bureau R. F. & A. Lands....2 pages/≈550 words| 2 Sources | APA | Social Sciences | Coursework |
- Discussing Current Sociological Issues Description: Feminist theory is extending feminism to theoretical, philosophical, and fictional discourse. Power is essential in feminist theory whereby feminists analyze ability because of the interest in understanding multiple unjust power relations to women (Allen 2018). ...2 pages/≈550 words| 7 Sources | APA | Social Sciences | Coursework |