Cultural Diversity In The Workplace: The Advantages And Disadvantages (Dissertation Sample)
Research Paper Proposal
Proposed Research Topic: Cultural diversity in the workplace: what are the advantages and
disadvantages; what are the rewards and challenges? Overall it will
be a paper about Promoting Cultural Diversity in the workplace.
Projected audience:Present to employees of a company as an HR representative. It will
be about educating the employees within the company.
The WIIFM Factor: I would like to research and write about this topic as it is an area of
interest that I currently have very little background on. I feel this would allow me to understand a broader scope of viewpoints from a number of different sources. I would like to become informed on this topic, as Canada is so culturally diverse, and I feel it can only be a benefit to understand this subject.
Research Strategies: Research and work will be completed using different texts, web
Sources and interviews with government employees.
Diversity in the workforce is an important aspect in determining organizational success and effectiveness. Cultural diversity is particularly important in an economy which is culturally diverse. This research study seeks to show the advantages, disadvantages, benefits and challenges organizations face in incorporating cultural diversity in the workforce. More importantly, the research seeks to show the importance of organizations incorporating cultural diversity in their workforce. The research questions intend to answer the advantages and benefits of promoting diversity in the workforce as well as the disadvantages and challenges associated. Previous literature is reviewed with intention of showing the position of other researchers on the issue. Similarly, research methodology incorporates the use of study survey to employees of different companies from different cultures. The findings indicate a positive relationship between cultural diversity and organizational performance. The organizational performance is indicated by both individual productivity and team performance steering the company to success. The research findings concur with the reviewed literature indicating the need for many companies to adapt and promote cultural diversity.
The concept of globalization has dominated every aspect of human existence including the workplaces. Globalization in turn creates culturally diverse communities with it demanding appropriate diversity management strategies for successful organizational operations. Many researchers have defined diversity with varying definitions which mainly share four broad characteristics as below indicated:
* Differences in personality traits such as special abilities and skills.
* Internal diversity such s gender, race, age.
* External diversity such as culture, marital status, religion, nationality.
* The organizational diversity that indicates positions and departments held by individuals.
Similarly, other researchers have classified diversity in three major categories as indicated below:
Source: Milliken and Martins (1996)
Human resource departments world-over are challenged on the management and incorporation of diversity in the workplaces. Important human resource functions such as recruitment and retention, professional development amongst others rely heavily on the human resource department for appropriate strategies to harness the benefits of cultural diversity. In Canada, for instance, companies have continued to embrace the cultural diversity by creating inclusive working environments that consequently ("Workplace Diversity and Inclusiveness Forum", 2008):
* Increases the accountability of every individual within the organization at all levels.
* Enriching organizational cultures by ensuring equality and fairness for all employees.
* Gaining value diversity from within the organization as well as from the organizations' clientele.
* Increasing productivity from all staff members who feel genuinely respected acknowledged and fairly remunerated.
* Ensures that organizations have maintained and are committed to diversity through both constant company communication and actionable steps.
Organizations face competitive disadvantage and consequently fail for failing to incorporate and promote diversity among the organizational staffs (Cox and Blake, 1991).Therefore, it is for the best of the organizational management to promote cultural diversity that acknowledges and appreciates every individual in the organization.
This research mainly focuses on promoting cultural diversity in the workplace. Soni (2000) argues that incorporating diversity initiatives in the workplace by formulating conducive policies and processes allows people from diverse cultural backgrounds to be productive in the cohesive working environment. Organizations are encouraged to promote ethical practices that aim at removing discriminatory barriers and prejudices that target specific employees and in turn create an all-encompassing work environment that ensures equal opportunities, satisfaction and remuneration for all employees. This can only be achieved through promoting cultural diversity in the workplace.
Objectives of the Study
The overall objective of the study is to determine the benefits organizations get from promoting cultural diversity in the workplace. The specific objectives include:
* To determine the advantages and disadvantages of cultural diversity in the workplace.
* To determine the rewards and challenges of an organization in promoting cultural diversity in the workplace.
* Are there pros and cons to organization's bid to adapt and promote diversity in the workplaces?
* What are the rewards and challenges to an organization in adopting and promoting cultural diversity in the workplace?
The significance of the research study
In this age of globalization and cultural diversity, organizations need to learn, adapt and promote cultural diversity in the workplace to ensure success in the organization. Organizations need to understand the implications of the changing workforce that incorporates heterogeneous cultures and races and how to tap the benefits therein for the betterment of everyone. Therefore, this research paper illuminates of the benefits the organizations and the community gets from promoting cultural diversity in the workplaces.
The literature review provides a report if the view of other researchers and their findings on this topic. The chapter encompasses empirical reviews of the existing literature regarding cultural diversity. The empirical review helps in understanding the research problem well through direct and indirect observation and experiences of other researchers as well as exploring and understanding their findings and recommendations.
According to Esty, Griffin, and Hirsch, (2015), diversity refers to acknowledging, being considerate, accommodating and appreciating the differences between people with regards to their race, ethnicity, culture, age, gender among other considerations. Creating a business environment that values and incorporates everyone is an extensive and comprehensive diversity management process (Soni, 2000).Diversity involves respecting these differences and their uniqueness to each individual employee and not as a group. Therefore, competent human resource managers must recognize and become willing to incorporate appropriate...
- Regulation on the Domestic Insurance IndustryDescription: The Impact of Regulation on the Domestic Insurance Industry of Brunei Darussalam with Particular Reference to Islamic Insurance...1 page/≈275 words| 10 Sources | APA | Literature & Language | Dissertation |
- Gilligan's Perspective of Ethics of CareDescription: This study explores the subject of how oral history methods have been used to investigate teaching via the ethic of care and the implications and/or limitations of these methods for teacher research....22 pages/≈6050 words| APA | Literature & Language | Dissertation |
- Marketing over Facebook Dissertation Writing AssignmentDescription: The social network websites have of recent played a crucial role on the e-commerce in the market industry....20 pages/≈5500 words| 12 Sources | APA | Literature & Language | Dissertation |