12 YEARS A SLAVE. Literature & Language Assignment (Essay Sample)
● Understand the importance of cultural context on the development of theory
● Understand the objectives/agendas of the authors themselves in developing their theory
● Understand the importance of the authors work to the field of Sociology
● Analyze the influence of culture on the work produce by the theorist you choose to
Instructions: This research paper needs to be 2 pages typed, double spaced, in Times New
Roman 12 pt. font. The paper should have 1 inch margins on all sides. This paper should
contain a cover page with the theorist’s name that the paper is over and your name. A running
header with only your name should be placed within the paper. You will need to have a
bibliography page for your paper. The bibliography page must be done in APA style. You can
use this website to help you construct your bibliography page: www.citationmachine.net. If you
don’t know how to construct a cover page, running header, or bibliography page, then you need
to find out, because points will be deducted for not following the formatting specifications listed
here. Only use a theorist presented in class or in your text book for this assignment.
NOTE: Only answering the questions below will only get you a 70%, or “C” on this paper.
Questions to Answer:
1.) What Sociological theorist are you writing about?
2.) What is their theory?
3.) What geographical area was the theorist born in?
4.) What geographical area did this theorist do much of his/her writing in?
5.) What does the culture in which this theorist was writing tell us about the theories they
produced during their lives?
6.) What major events influenced this theorist’s work?
7.) What do you find most interesting about the theorist that you chose to research?
12 Years a Slave
12 Years a Slave, a biographical feature film by director Steve McQueen is an adaptation of a memoir by a similar title by Solomon Northup. Northup was born free in New York, but was kidnapped in Washington D.C in 1841 and sold to become a slave. The film recounts his experiences a slave for 12 years before he was released. The film was released on 8th November 2013 in the U.S and presents one of the most accurate depictions of African American history under the slavery regime through its dramatization, historical references and revelation of the tribulations of the slaves.
12 Years a Slave Won the BAFTA Award and the Oscars due to its dramatization style and re-memory of the African American experiences under slavery. The drama follows an African American living in a free state (working as a violinist) who was captured and sold into slavery. In the film, there is a review of the justifications that were offered by the slave owners to be unrelenting, inhumane and cruel (Li, 2014).
- English 102. Dracula Essay. Literature & Language EssayDescription: In the book Dracula, by Bram Stoker, character Renfield plays a pivotal role in understanding the mindset of a madman. As a reader, Renfield has somewhat of intricate and innovative nature; as a result, his intricate and innovative nature leads the reader to question Renfield's sanity. ...6 pages/≈1650 words| 1 Source | APA | Literature & Language | Essay |
- Bullying in children. Definition and types of bullyingDescription: Bullying is and has always been a social problem among children and even teenagers. This report is a short analysis of what entails bullying and how parents, teachers and fellow students should help curb this habit. ...3 pages/≈825 words| 4 Sources | APA | Literature & Language | Essay |
- Economic issues. The global economic impacts of covid-19Description: The outbreak of COVID-19 was prompted in December 2019 in Wuhan city of China. It continues to spread across the world. The effects of this disease are way far beyond mortality and morbidity...1 page/≈275 words| 3 Sources | APA | Literature & Language | Essay |