1 page/≈275 words
Healthy Educational Development Education Case Study (Case Study Sample)
THE TASK ADDRESSED BY THIS SAMPLE INVOLVED A COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS OF AN IDEAL EDUCATIONAL DEVELOPMENT VERSUS THE STATUS QUO OF CHILDREN AND ADOLESCENTS FROM LOW-INCOME BACKGROUNDS.source..
2. Ideal Child Development Based on the Theory of Cognitive Development
The family background of children and early grade adolescents, including the socio-economic environment they are brought up in affects their academic achievement, educational development, and future occupational outcomes. Erik Erikson’s theory of cognitive development explains an ideal situation for the good education and development of children targeted in this project (5-11 years of age and young adolescents). According to Erikson, the development of a sense of identity as an individual grows influences them to develop or fail to develop essential abilities in the various stages of development (Oswalt, 2017). Therefore, the development of cognitive skills and abilities necessary for educational achievement by the child is affected by circumstances related to their family identity including their household income and social status.
In an ideal setup, children and adolescents of the target category have access to adequate financial and material resources that can enable them access quality education and make self-motivated career choices. The availability of these resources and a motivating environment of learning drives the healthy educational development of these children (Erola, Jolanen & Lehti, 2016).
3. Status Quo of the Target Group
The situation of children and adolescents from families of low income and high poverty levels is far from the positive ideals of the theory of cognitive development. This status directly affects their academic achievements and is more than likely to affect the outcomes of their adult lives (Erola, Jolanen & Lehti, 2016). Children coming from low-income backgrounds are not only affected by the lack of resources for learning but also the psychological issues arising from low perception, sickness, frustration and emotional disability (The Institute for Public Policy and Economic Development, 2016).
There exists a critical gap between the developmental ideals and the reality faced by these children which the target category lack in lack confidence in carrying out necessary learning activities. Minimal attention paid to instructions, poor social and initiative skills and difficulties in self-care and hygiene are some of the negative effects of this status. Also, they lack cognitive readiness and cannot communicate using standard subject vocabulary or even read to understand learning material (Egba & Ngwakwe, 2015). The lack of a sense of quali...
Get the Whole Paper!
Not exactly what you need?
Do you need a custom essay? Order right now:
- Explore the Impact of Socioeconomic Factors on TechnologyDescription: Today we live in a technology driven world. The world surrounding us, constantly changes in a break neck speed and often we are unable to catch the pace of it. ...1 page/≈275 words| 5 Sources | APA | Education | Case Study |
- Infant Development and Interaction with AdultsDescription: Cognitive development is the growth and change of an individuals ability to process information, solve problems, and acquire new knowledge in such areas...5 pages/≈1375 words| 2 Sources | APA | Education | Case Study |
- Toilet TrainingDescription: The involvement of parents in the development of children helps in transitioning to developmental stages in life ...5 pages/≈1375 words| 2 Sources | APA | Education | Case Study |