Construction and Engineering: Patrick Air Force Base Officer's Club (Coursework Sample)
Research the 2005 fire at the Patrick Air Force Base Officers’ Club. Write a short description of the incident to include the cause of the fire, the amount of damage, and measures that could have been used to prevent the fire.
2. Material Storage and Handling.
a. What is the maximum allowable height for stacking bricks? What other requirements apply to stacked bricks?
What is the maximum allowable height for stacking lumber? What other requirements apply to stacked lumber?
What is the rated capacity of a ½ inch diameter Grade 80 alloy steel chain sling when used in a double leg bridle sling configuration at a 45° vertical angle?
1. Research the 2005 fire at the Patrick Air Force Base Officers’ Club. Write a short description of the incident to include the cause of the fire, the amount of damage, and measures that could have been used to prevent the fire.
A fire destroyed a portion of the Patrick Air Force Base Officer's Club in 2005. The club was recognized as a social hub for the seaside town's population. Dinners, wedding receptions, and other social events were held there. According to the inquiry, the fire originated in the kitchen.
The inclusion of other combustible chemicals, materials, and electrical equipment exacerbated the fire.
Over 70 firemen, public safety authorities, and people of the local community attempted to put out the fire, but it was too big for them. Because the respondents were unable to enter the building to prevent it from spreading rapidly, it was demolished and spread to other portions of the club. Because the reaction to the tragedy was delayed, the fire burned 40,000 square feet of the area. The damage may have been mitigated if the roof and cooking facilities had anti-fire and smoke alarms installed. Furthermore, the roof should have been constructed of inert and non-flammable materials.
1 Material Storage and Handling.
* What is the maximum allowable height for stacking bricks? What other requirements apply to stacked bricks?
When packaging, make sure not to exceed a height of three units. Furthermore, beyond 4 feet, the user should taper them at 2 inches for each foot of height (Occupational Safety and Health Administration, 2005). Workers must, however, make adequate allowance for height and stack the bricks below the 7-foot threshold. A worker should respect the height and other measurement constraints, and different types of bricks should be stacked separately to allow employees to handle them effectively. They should also be stored near the site to minimize breaking and time waste during unloading and transportation.
b. What is the maximum allowable height for stacking lumber? What other requirements apply to stacked lumber?
The maximum height for stacking lumbers varies depending on the technique used; for example, while stacking them manually, the maximum height should not exceed 16 feet. Those piled by a forklift have a maximum height of 20 feet. To avoid direct contact with a damp surface, the wooden stack should be roughly 150 mm above the ground. Similarly, extreme wind speeds can cause stacks to collapse and destroy neighboring goods. Similarly, if the user intends to keep the timber for more t
- Design and Selection of Solar Panel and PanelDescription: 1. Definition of the problem Solar power is an essential solution for energy crisis. Most of the solar powers installed are on the roof tops . a typical solar power consist of solar panel and a mount. Solar panels can be mounted in different ways and before designing mounting system it is...14 pages/≈3850 words| 3 Sources | APA | Engineering | Coursework |
- Multi-Family Fire ScenarioDescription: At around 0341 hours on August 14, 2018, the Boise (ID) Fire Department responded to a reported fire incident in a multiple-family dwelling located at the corner of Curtis along Overland Roads. The caller stated, "There were flames everywhere"; before disconnecting, the caller said, "it just blew up."...4 pages/≈1100 words| 3 Sources | APA | Engineering | Coursework |
- Building Information Modelling Management Theory And PracticeDescription: Building information modeling (BIM), can be regarded as a procedure for handling the data formed in the life span of assets CITATION Gel13 \l 1033 (Gelder, Tebbit, Wiggett, & Mordue, 2013). Recently IBM is merging to be among the most hopeful development in engineering, building...3 pages/≈825 words| 15 Sources | APA | Engineering | Coursework |