5 pages/≈1375 words
Literature & Language
Critical examination of the academic commentators' view that the effectuation approach in starting up a business is preferred to the causation model (Essay Sample)
Critical examination of the academic commentators’ view that the Effectuation approach in starting up a business is preferred to the causation modelsource..
Year of study:
Date of submission:
Critical examination of the academic commentators' view that the effectuation approach in starting up a business is preferred to the causation model
Table of content
* The causation approach or model
* The effectuation approach
* Diagrammatic representation of the two approaches
* The effectuation principles
* The effectuation cycle
* The Venturing experiment
* The conclusion
Question: Academic commentators suggest that many entrepreneurs follow an effectuation (descriptive model) as opposed to the causation ( or perspective) model in setting up a new venture. Using relevant concepts and models analyze this statement.
Most entrepreneurs adopt the effectuation model as opposed to the causation or descriptive model in starting a business. Research and statistical data indicate that the statement is true. Research has indicated that more that 50% of new ventures collapse in two years after their establishment. This has necessitated entrepreneurs to consider understanding the decision making process in conditions of uncertainty. The effectuation model is ideal in the decision making process because it contributes to innovation that is essential for the success of any business. The effectuation approach proposes that entrepreneurs should emphasize on what they can afford to lose. They should use the resources under their control to try different combinations and strategies. The effectuation model aims to mitigate uncertainty of specific strategies and resource combinations. The causation model seemed not to have provided a background of understanding the phenomenon of how entrepreneur businesses are established (Sarasvathy 2007).
This essay will hence critically examine both the causation and effectuation approaches as well as the reasons as to why entrepreneurs prefer the effectuation model to the causal model. Additionally, the relevant examples of organizations that have successively followed the effectuation model will be highlighted.
The causation model
The idea underling the causation model is that the market is pre-established. According to this model, for a new business venture to succeed, it must first define and segment the target market. After which, the organization can develop marketing and positioning plans for its products and services. This process is referred to as the segmentation-targeting-positioning process or the top down approach. The effectuation model uses the bottom up approach in building a new market.
The effectuation model
The entrepreneur in the effectuation model begins by defining the various markets in which he could target and then begins the business using the limited information available. The entrepreneur takes advantage of the partnerships and contingencies he creates through the actual sales of the products and services. This hence means that the effectual entrepreneur will always understand the clients' desires. The entrepreneur works from the point that the future is uncertain hence building relationships that are likely to yield a certain level of result(Sarasvathy 2007).
The causation and effectuation models discussed above can be summarized in a diagram as shown below in figure 1.
Figure 1Customers: the effectuation model from the top-causation from the bottom
(The effectuation model by expert entrepreneurs)
Source of diagram: (Sarasvathy 2007)
The entrepreneur can build different companies in different industries using the effectuation model. This is because the initial idea does not rely on a single strategic effect on which a company can be established. The effectual model instead allows entrepreneurs to establish a single or many effects despite lacking clear objectives. The diagrams 2 and 3 below outline the causal ad effectual process to paint the picture of the underling ideas underling.
Figure 2 causal process
Get the Whole Paper!
Not exactly what you need?
Do you need a custom essay? Order right now:
- Discussion Influencing Policy And Legislation (The Most Interesting)Description: Organizational change is interesting because it involves changing attitudes and behaviors of individuals at a personal level. I believe this will make my master’s degree worthy. I intend to find the best solutions for my society to help with the prevention work....1 page/≈275 words| 1 Source | APA | Literature & Language | Essay |
- Cher Wang; the Popular Woman I Would Like to Talk ToDescription: Cher Wang; the Popular Woman I Would Like to Talk To Literature & Language Essay...2 pages/≈550 words| 2 Sources | APA | Literature & Language | Essay |
- The Blood Donation Process, Blood Transfusion CentreDescription: The blood donation process begins by a donor visiting a certain blood transfusion centre. The blood transfusion centre can be a clinic, hospital, school...1 page/≈275 words| 1 Source | APA | Literature & Language | Essay |