Poverty (Social Sciences/Social Issue) Social Sciences Essay (Essay Sample)
Write an essay on such social issue as poverty.
1. Provide the description of this social issue.
2. Analyze how your issue is discussed in the field of sociology. Which sociological theories are applied to discussing poverty?
3. What do sociologists claim about poverty in THE US society? What are their arguments?
Your essay should meet the following requirements:
1. Please follow the standard essay writing structure. Provide an introductory paragraph, a thesis statement, essay body paragraphs, and a concluding paragraph.
2. Please cover all aspects of the topic that are described above in your essay.
3. Number of sources to use in the paper: four (4) sources (APA 7th Edition). Please use only credible sources published within the past five (5) years. Use two (2) books and two (2) journal (scholarly) articles.
4. Please make sure your paper is plagiarism free. Any borrowed idea should be properly cited. Be sure to avoid copy-pasted sentences.
5. Be sure to follow quality standards for grammar, style, and principles of academic writing
Poverty is an unresolved and obstinate social issue in all communities globally. Its history is shrouded in paradoxes, puzzles, failures, complicated changes, and worrying group and individual behaviors. Policymakers and politicians often apply partial solutions to the problem while simultaneously positioning themselves to demand absolution when the actions they recommend fail. Poverty is persistent because sociological perspectives on it, which influence resolution attempts, lack specificity; they give variable and expansive explanations of its nature, causes, and impacts.
Description of Poverty
In ordinary usage, poverty refers to lacking material possessions or money to meet daily existence needs. It can either be absolute or relative, depending on its intensity (Brady & Burton, 2016). Absolute (or abject) poverty, also called destitution or penury, is an extreme lack or deprivation of food, water, shelter, and services, including education, health, sanitation, and information. It is dependent on both a lack of income and access to services. In monetary terms, penury is subsistence on less than the equivalent of one dollar per day (Atkinson, 2019). Contrarily, relative impoverishment draws parallels between one’s income and the prevailing average rate. Individuals or families are “relatively poor” if their earnings are 50 percent less than the average rate in a given locality, state, or country (Rai, 2019). The state of being “relatively poor” can improve with the enhancements in a country’s economy.
- Thoughts on Restorative Justice Social Sciences EssayDescription: There are various ways in which one can describe the concept of restorative justice in the criminal justice system. For example, one may view this concept as an approach to justice whereas other would interpret it as one of the theories of justice. Nevertheless, a critical analysis of this concept shows...2 pages/≈550 words| 2 Sources | APA | Social Sciences | Essay |
- Public Writing Social Sciences Essay Research CourseworkDescription: The development of language is perhaps the most significant milestone in human evolution because it created a platform for communication and problem-solving. However, the emergence of writing marked a new phase in human history because they could now create records and address them...1 page/≈550 words| 2 Sources | APA | Social Sciences | Essay |
- Linking Population Growth to Enhanced Carbon Emissions Social EssayDescription: The link between climate change and population growth is irrefutable. A high population leads to increased consumption and deforestation. Consequently, there is an increasing burning of fossil fuels, the source of carbon emission. On the other hand, deforestation reduces the amount of carbon...1 page/≈275 words| 5 Sources | APA | Social Sciences | Essay |