Geology And Types Of Rocks: Igneous, Sedimentary Rocks
QIUZ #2 PAPER REQUIREMENTS
• PAPER IS ON THE 3 ROCK TYPES – IGNEOUS, SEDIMENTARY AND METAMOPPHIC
• EACH ROCK TYPE SHOULD HAVE ITS OWN HEADING – ADDRESS EACH ROCK TYPE INDIVIDUALLY
• EACH ROCK TYPE SHOULD CONSIST OF TEXT THAT IS ABOUT TWO PAGES, APPROXIMATELY 650-700 WORDS.
• THE ENTIRE PAPER SHOULD CONSIST OF A MINIMUM OF SIX PAGES OF TEXT, APPROXIMATELY 2000 WORDS.
• IF YOU USE BULLETED POINTS, WHICH CAN BE A GREAT TOOL TO USE, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE MORE THAN 2 PAGES. BULLETED POINTS DO NOT FILL A PAGE WITH TEXT.
• PAPER SHOULD BE IN MICROSOFT WORD,12 POINT FONT, DOUBLE SPACED
• INCLUDING PICTURES, CHARTS, GRAPHS, ETC DO NOT COUNT TOWARD YOUR PAGE TOTAL BUT COULD CERTAINLY IMPROVE YOUR GRADE.
• YOU MAY USE YOUR LAB AND LECTURE BOOK AS SOURCES OF INFORMATION BUT TRY TO INCLUDE OTHER SOURCES (INTERNET, OTHER BOOKS)
• INCLUDE A REFERENCE FOR SOURCES PAGE. THERE ARE MANY FORMATS FOR THIS. DON'T WORRY TOO MUCH ABOUT THE FORMAT; THIS IS NOT AN ENGLISH CLASS!
• MAKE THIS PAPER YOURS: DON'T SIMPLY COPY INFORMATION FROM THE BOOK
• IT IS UP TO THE INDIVIDUAL TO DETERMINE WHAT IS COVERED IN THE PAPER. HOWEVER, DON'T COVER THE ABSTRACT AND DON'T CONCENTRATE ON ONE OR TWO ROCKS.
EXAMPLE FOR IGNEOUS ROCKS: WRITE ABOUT TEXTURE, ABOUT COLOR ETC. DON'T WRITE 2 PAGES ABOUT BASALT AND NOTHING ELSE
• PAPER IS DUE MARCH 13, 11:59PM
Types of rocks
Geologists define a rock any coherent, naturally occurring substance generally composed of minerals. Rocks are grouped into three categories that are igneous rocks, Sedimentary rocks, and metamorphic rocks.
Igneous rocks are formed by the solidification of magma, a silicate liquid generated by partial melting of the upper mantle or the lower crust. Different environments of formation, and the cooling rates associated with these, create very different textures. There are two main groupings of igneous rocks: volcanic rocks and plutonic rocks.
Volcanic rocks form when magma rises to the surface and erupts, either as lava or pyroclastic material. The rate of cooling of the magma is rapid, and crystal growth is inhibited. Volcanic rocks are characteristically fine-grained. Volcanic rocks at times show structures from their eruption, e.g. molded by shearing the lava as it flowing or banding flow, and exposed voids or cracks that signify bolted gases. Plutonic rocks on the other hand develop when magma cools inside the Earth's crust. The degree at which magma cools is slow thus it allows growing of large crystals. Plutonic rocks are typically coarse-grained. Igneous rocks play a significant role in geology in the following:
Their HYPERLINK "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minerals" \o "Minerals" minerals give data and facts about the structure of the mantle, from which several igneous rocks are mined. It helps to know pressure and temperature situations that allow this mining.
Their HYPERLINK "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_dating" \o "Absolute dating" actual ages can be acquired from several types of HYPERLINK "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiometric_dating" \o "Radiometric dating" radio dating and thus be related to adjacent geological HYPERLINK "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratum" \o "Stratum" strata, giving a time arrangement of occasions.
Their features are normally characteristic of precise tectonic surroundings, permitting tectonic reconstructions.
They have vital mineral deposits: e.g., tin, uranium and, HYPERLINK "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tungsten" \o "Tungsten" tungsten are generally linked with HYPERLINK "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diorite" \o "Diorite" diorites and granites, whereas rocks of platinum and HYPERLINK "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium" \o "Chromium" are usually linked with HYPERLINK "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabbro" \o "Gabbro" gabbros.
The environment of development generates typical textures which contribute to their identification. These textures are as follows:
Phaneritic where this texture defines a rock with huge, simply observable, linking crystals of numerous minerals. The crystals rocks are casually dispersed. A phaneritic texture is normally created by the sluggish cooling and crystallization of magma liquid trapped inside the Earth's crust and is typic...
- Incident Command SystemDescription: This paper aims at outlining steps that guide one in burning a blank CD using Windows Media Player...2 pages/≈550 words| MLA | Education | Essay |
- How to Make Essay Outline Description: How to Make Essay Outline Education Essay Master's level...2 pages/≈550 words| MLA | Education | Essay |
- Bilingual Education in ArizonaDescription: Bilingual Education in Arizona Education Essay...7 pages/≈1925 words| MLA | Education | Essay |