Question Four: Why Reconstruction Failed History Essay Research Paper (Essay Sample)
Choose one of the following questions to answer:
1. What was radical Reconstruction? Was it radical?
2. Did Reconstruction address the problems of race? Explain.
3. What the most important historical legacy of Reconstruction?
4. Did Reconstruction fail? Why or why not?
Question Four—Why Reconstruction Failed
Reconstruction refers to the period between 1865 and1877 after the American Civil War ended. It was marked by attempts to redress disparities of slavery, primarily social, economic, and political legacy. Proponents of reconstruction wanted to find solutions to the problem of readmission of 11 states that seceded from the Union (Foner 13). While reconstruction was seen as an excellent move to unite Americans, it failed because of economic, racial, and political reasons.
Lack of political support implied that reconstruction could not resolve deep standing racial integration issues. For instance, it failed to uphold the civil liberties of the newly freed slaves. The administration was unwilling to readmit the rebel states that had earlier walked away from the Union (Foner 25). The federal government was unequivocal regarding how it could quell the political and racial tensions in a divided nation. Instead of fighting the prejudice of white supremacy in the South,
- Women in the Age of Enlightenment. History Essay. Description: The role of women in society is a controversial topic, but history dictates that society had historically confined the majority of women to the private sphere, the home....1 page/≈275 words| 2 Sources | MLA | History | Essay |
- African American Letters on Great Migration. History EssayDescription: The Great Migration is one of the historical shifts in the American population and happened in the early 20th century. Notably, the Chicago Defender was a Black-American newspaper that contains national leadership, supported the migration, and highly encouraged its readers to travel to Chicago....3 pages/≈825 words| No Sources | MLA | History | Essay |
- American Politics between 1790 and 1800. History EssayDescription: It is understandable why George Washington tried to avoid the American party system of governance. However, as eager as he was to stop party systems, he became a member of a party during the onset of American politics....4 pages/≈1100 words| 3 Sources | MLA | History | Essay |