Implementing Genius Hour Strategy forColle-Level Learning and Teaching Practice (Term Paper Sample)
PART II: 3,000-WORD ESSAY
THE ESSAY SHOULD INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING ELEMENTS,
1. A TITLE SPECIFIC TO THE TOPIC OF YOUR ASSIGNMENT
2. A CLEAR STATEMENT OF THE CHANGE(S) THAT YOU PROPOSE (WHAT IS IT THAT YOU SUGGEST SHOULD CHANGE?) TOGETHER WITH AN EXPLANATION OF THE REASONS WHY THIS CHANGE IS NEEDED (WHY DO YOU SUGGEST THIS CHANGE?). THIS EXPLANATION WILL INCLUDE BACKGROUND AND CONTEXT-RELATED INFORMATION (WHAT IS THE CONTEXT IN WHICH THE PROPOSED CHANGE IS TAKING PLACE?).
3. A CRITICAL DISCUSSION OF THE THEORETICAL FRAMEWORK(S) AND RESEARCH EVIDENCE THAT SUPPORTS AND JUSTIFIES THE PROPOSED CHANGE(S). THIS WILL INCLUDE A CRITICAL ANALYSIS OF A RANGE OF RELEVANT LITERATURE SOURCES (INCLUDING RESEARCH/ACADEMIC JOURNALS, BOOKS, AND POLICY DOCUMENTS).
4. CLEAR AND CRITICAL CONSIDERATION OF HOW CONVINCING THE EVIDENCE IS, AND HOW APPLICABLE THE EVIDENCE IS TO THE PARTICULAR CONTEXT TO WHICH YOUR WORK RELATES. 5. DISCUSSION OF THE WAYS IN WHICH THE EVIDENCE MIGHT TRANSLATE INTO PRACTICE AND POLICY WITHIN THE EDUCATIONAL SETTING THAT YOU HAVE CHOSEN TO FOCUS ON.
IMPLEMENTING A GENIUS HOUR STRATEGY FOR COLLEGE-LEVEL LEARNING AND TEACHING PRACTICE TO BOOST AUTONOMY, CREATIVITY, DECISION-MAKING, AND REDUCED LIKELIHOOD OF COLLEGE DROPOUT: PART 2
Course Number: Course Title
Part 2: Body Essay
The Genius Hour strategy is a relatively new pedagogical approach which affords students the opportunity to invest their time exploring areas or projects they are passionate about. Genius Hour has quickly evolved in functionality to become one of a few non-traditional pedagogical approaches designed to instruct and promote learning among students without strict adherence to the traditional pedagogical methodology. In this paper, the Genius Hour strategy is proposed as a college-level instructional change designed to facilitate autonomy, boost student creativity, bolster self-driven decision-making, promote learning outcomes for both teachers and students, and effectively reduce the possibility of dropout among college students.
The Essence of a Changing Pedagogy
Transformations in education for autonomous learning require the commitment of both the institution and academicians (Leal Filho et al., 2018). Efforts by academic groups and their collective contribution to motivation-driven interventions and innovative ideas can help transform content/methods. For instance, the presence of a whole curriculum-based reform towards reorienting the Genius Hour teaching approach is significantly limited (Von Blottnitz et al., 2015). Notably, there is inadequate institutional support and incentivized aspects for academics who are willing to integrate the Genius Hour ideal into their day-to-day curricular activities—most instructor efforts will rely almost entirely on the role of academics in promoting teaching and learning outcomes.
Transformative learning can balance learning and teaching approximations by engaging students in critical reflections and constructive questioning of their personal values and beliefs. A major shift from conformity and reformatory learning towards the transformative style of outcomes (involving a shift to higher-order learning) will call for personal, faculty-based, and political opposition by students. This phenomenon then triggers a counterintuitive challenge to the students’ beliefs and ideas, prompting a near-complete reconstruction of contextual meaning (Taylor, 2018). Some scholars in the past have set up foundational approaches for training learners to harness transformative learning. Ideologies such as the double loop learning approach and “the learning organization” are relevant predictors and perhaps moderators of the Genius Hour strategy. These approaches should therefore be harnessed for additional perceptions into how institutions of higher learning could effectively tap into the field of Genius Hour.
Participatory pedagogies, such as those that promote critical self-reflection, have been observed to trigger the adoption of transformative cognitive behaviors as the outcome of transformative learning (Leal Filho et al., 2018). Critical reflection activities have proven critical towards transformational learning especially with regard to the three essential types of reflections. The first, content reflection, involves an examination of the contents in an excerpt and a further description of the problem at hand. Second, a process reflection involves confirming what problem-solving approaches are being employed and, third, the premise reflection which occurs when a problem is not accurately formulated (Leal Filho et al., 2018). The transformative learning theory (TLT) thus provides a theoretical foundation for the process of transforming from traditional instruction methods to the more intuitive and student-driven Genius Hour approach.
The Transformative Learning Theory: A Theoretical Basis for Genius Hour
All humans possess a natural compulsion to derive meaning out of everyday experiences and encounters. Since there exists
- Analysis of Policies Governing the Education and Training CurriculumDescription: The course on education and training is designed to meet the standards defined by the Education and Training Foundation (ETF) professional requirements or standards. The policy outlines the expectations following the completion of education training. Under the ETF professional requirements, teachers are...3 pages/≈825 words| 6 Sources | Harvard | Education | Term Paper |
- CHALLENGES FACED BY BLACK WOMEN ENTREPRENEURS. Education Term PaperDescription: It is not something of a surprise to discuss racism in the modern world. This is something that still exists amongst us, and we must find a way of stopping it. A woman is considered a weaker gender, and when the weaker gender is subjected to discrimination based on color, it becomes a double tragedy. ...5 pages/≈1375 words| 8 Sources | Harvard | Education | Term Paper |
- Educational Leadership from the Muslim Tradition Education Term PaperDescription: The educational field represents one of the most critical elements in the growth of people intellectually, as well as the general development of a nation. Schools require competent leadership that focuses on the generation of qualified personnel at the end of their school life. The school administration...9 pages/≈2475 words| 7 Sources | Harvard | Education | Term Paper |