What Are The Functions Of Management Research Assignment (Term Paper Sample)
create a reflection of your learning in the form of an e-portfolio. it will include an orientation page, an artifact (or artifacts) that demonstrates your strengths and a written reflection on how this artifact illustrates your key strength. your written reflection will include a clear understanding of how you function as a manager. the sample serves to explain how an e-portfolio can be created in a personal reflection term with use of artifacts.source..
As a manager, it would be essential to demonstrate good leadership to my followers hence the need to understand how various leadership styles and skills contribute to unity and satisfaction in an organization. (Bolden, 2016 pp 146) Came to a conclusion that leadership traits in some individuals are an inborn aspect. I however believe that managerial skills are nurtured gradually from the most basic point. Managers are the drivers of every organization. Poor managerial activities have been linked to poor performance by many organizations worldwide. There is need therefore to analyze management from personal perspective view. This document will demonstrate my profile as a future manager and leader.
What is management
Effective communication is a building block of a successful organization. Communication is therefore regarded an essential aspect of management Conger (2014 pp 137) states that communication is the key to how managers relate to their subordinate members. Managers need to develop an effective communication channel that will enable he/she send out their desired outcomes while at the same time correcting work-related mistakes displayed by the followers. This aspect will go a long way in helping me as manager in the following ways;
* A channel of motivation by clarifying to the employees what to do, how to do it and what aspect to improve if their actions are not up to the mark.
* I could utilize communication as a source of information prior to making decisions within my jurisdiction. During strategic plan formulation for example, I could welcome ideas from external sources such as employees and other stakeholders.
* Communication is one of the best tools used to control activities within an organization. As a manager therefore, I would prioritize effective channels such as live communication with senior leaders while keeping in mind that other channels of communication such as emails since they are cost effective in the long run.
Furthermore, on the same context, management is a network in that communication is just but a major subset of a larger network. I therefore view communication as a driving force to other managerial factors including;
1.Ttracking and analyzing- this involves the ability of a manager to analyze, record and make a recommendation regarding various activities in the organization.
2.Identify- a manager should be in a position to identify various aspect related to his work. In my case for example, this tool will enable me identify loopholes and opportunities in my workplace.
3. Planning and control- successful organizations attribute their achievements to planning and prompt control of core activities. I have an ambition to develop a universal plan for small and medium enterprises that could help solve 80% of managerial related challenges. Control on the other hand is a matter of developing a sense of authority in finance, accounting, production and marketing departments depending on the type of the organization.
How management context has changed
Management styles and effectiveness have been evolving over time. Some leaders for example in 19th and 20th century believed that an autocratic form of leadership was the most effective style for a manager. This notion has however changed gradually as evidenced by the fact that most managers have embraced flexibility in their leadership styles. Leaders can now accommodate and welcome ideas from their juniors. Furthermore, these ideas are not for mere motivation but are later integrated into the organization’s strategic plan.
From my personal perspective therefore, changes presented in management field could influence how I develop my leadership style and overall effectiveness of the same leadership style. Most organization have embraced an autocratic form of leadership (Conger, 2014 pp 139). in relation to the new changes therefore, I have conducted an analysis related to my management and leadership style and thereafter come up with the following conclusion; my style of leadership and management falls in the following categories as per the diagnostic steps.
* Flexible-. Flexible managers welcome ideas before making a decision.
* De-centralized- As a decentralized manager I will find it effective to delegate duties to my followers hence working best through my subordinates.
* Task-oriented- being a task-oriented manager, this will help me prioritize work-related issues at the expense of personal tasks.
* Reward as a form of appreciation- I will ensure that members of staff who perform in accordance with organizational objectives receive both tangible and intangible rewards for their good work
* The means- this type of management style will ensure that my concern is not only oriented towards the final results rather than the means to achieving the same. Means oriented leaders will take into consideration both the negative and positive aspects of achieving their goals.
I have a strong belief that the following attributes will provide the following positive results to every organization I will manage.
Achievement of corporate social responsibility- my leadership and management style does not entail success of an organization only but will incorporate other desires such as environmental conservation and better living of the immediate community.
Employee performance appraisal- as stipulated above, a flexible or democratic manager will welcome decisions from his/her juniors before embarking on decision making (Dias and Phillip, 2016 pp 7).
Low employee turnover rate- the reward type of leadership attracts and retains employees since they find it comfortable to operate in an organization that recognizes their efforts in a positive way.
Shareholders wealth maximization- a task-oriented manager will focus on the ultimate goal of organization’s success. As explained in the diagnostic part, my attributes will leave aside individual gains just to ensure that my task is accomplished.
What are the key functions a manager needs to address in order to be effective?
The artifact above, presents an overview of the core activities every manager, regardless of the organization should embark on in order to be successful. Every managerial activity presented above has its own advantageous channels that will ensure that a manager remains effective in the long run. An example from the artifact is prioritization that is an essential task for an effective manager. This means that a manager does not only embark on those activities that he/she feels are easy hence could be accomplished easily but should categorize his/her actions in accordance with urgency, sensitivity and other just-in-time factors.
Being a prospective manager therefore, the above activities will come handy during development and implementation of my managerial activities such as setting up an action plan. An action plan as per the artifact articulates that firstly, an effective manager should set clearly defined goals (Kupperschmidt, 2014 pp 72). My managerial goals in this aspect will include clients and shareholder’s satisfaction, participation in corporate social responsibility and lastly, accomplishment of both individual and organizational goals. Furthermore, being a new manager, this aspect will help me develop an effective key-to-do list. Managers are busy individuals hence the need to have a reminder of what key activities they should accomplish.
In conclusion therefore, management can be described as a set of activities including communication, planning, tracking, analyzing and controlling various organizational activities. A manager is therefore an indi...
- What Are The Functions Of Management Research AssignmentDescription: Create a reflection of your learning in the form of an e-portfolio. It will include an orientation page, an artifact (or artifacts) that demonstrates your strengths and a written reflection on how this artifact illustrates your key strength...3 pages/≈825 words| 4 Sources | Harvard | Management | Term Paper |
- Video Review On Fundamentals Of Project ManagementDescription: The video discusses the introduction to project management fundamentals, as presented during the Project Management Seminar...3 pages/≈825 words| 1 Source | Harvard | Management | Term Paper |
- Crowdsourcing Assignment: Impact Of Outsourcing In BusinessDescription: This definition was given by Jeff Howe by getting an article published in a magazine in June 2006 with the title “The rise of crowdoutsourcing”...6 pages/≈1650 words| 10 Sources | Harvard | Management | Term Paper |