Darwin's theory Biological & Biomedical Sciences Essay (Essay Sample)
To discuss Darwin theory of evolutionsource..
Darwin’s Theory of Natural Selection
DARWINS THEORY OF EVOLUTION BY NATURAL SELECTION
Charles Darwin took interest in natural history while studying for theology degree at Cambridge University. He spent most of his time collecting specimens of living organisms from many parts of the world and making observations. From these observations, he gave an explanation on the origin of plant and animal life forms found here on earth, based on a concept he referred to “Natural Selection”. In his explanation he suggested that;
* Variations occur within members of a population; these variations emerge by chance from within the individual. They are passed on to successive generation through sexual reproduction. Some of the characteristics are advantageous to the individual while others confer limitations.
* In a population, the number of young ones is larger than the number of parental generation but only a small number survive to adulthood and give rise to young ones. Others die young due tp environmental pressure such as competition for food, shelter, mates and shortage of water. The numbers of the population is therefore relatively constant. This shows that competition among members of a population is constant in an attempt to survive, what is called struggle for existence.
* In the struggle for existence, members with advantageous variations are well suited to the environment. They exploit resources, survive and breed in the prevailing environmental conditions. Members with disadvantageous characteristics are poorly adapted; they do not transmit their variations since they die young. This is referred to as survival of the fittest.
- Exposure to ToxicsDescription: Exposure to Toxics Biological & Biomedical Sciences Essay...2 pages/≈550 words| 1 Source | APA | Biological & Biomedical Sciences | Essay |
- HypnotherapyDescription: Hypnotherapy Biological & Biomedical Sciences Essay...1 page/≈275 words| No Sources | APA | Biological & Biomedical Sciences | Essay |
- Biological PsychologyDescription: Biological Psychology Biological & Biomedical Sciences Essay...4 pages/≈1100 words| 6 Sources | APA | Biological & Biomedical Sciences | Essay |