Great Ideas of the World Unit 4 Life Sciences Essay (Essay Sample)
Type a response to each of the points below. Your paper should incorporate the bullet point
headings below. Single space your responses and follow the paper requirements stated in the
syllabus. Papers are due at class time – April 14
Each of the examples you use from these videos need to be a different topic.
1. Dr. Patrick Moore - Review the two videos of Dr. Patrick Moore: “Confessions of a
Greenpeace Dropout, Las Vegas, July 8, 2014 at ICCC9” and the video “Patrick Moore
for Prager University: 'What they Haven't Told You About Climate Change’”. In these
presentations Dr. Moore explains why he left Greenpeace and presents scientific reasons
why he is skeptical of anthropogenic climate change. Number and describe two
examples, one from each video, where he presents reasons why he is skeptical of
anthropogenic climate change. Offer your response for each example. How do these
examples compare to what you were taught or have seen in the media?
2. “The Great Global Warming Swindle” - Review the documentary video “The Great
Global Warming Swindle”. The scientists in this documentary make several
environmental claims in response to anthropogenic climate change/global warming.
Number and describe two examples why these scientists doubt anthropogenic climate
change. Offer your response for each example. How do these examples compare to what
you were taught or have seen in the media?
3. J.D. King “Blue” - Review the documentary video “Blue”. Those interviewed in this
documentary make several environmental claims in response to the impact the EPA and
environmental activists have made on their community. Number and describe two
examples of the impact that over regulation and activism has had. Offer your response
for each example. How do these examples compare to what you were taught or have
seen in the media?
Great Ideas of the World
1 Dr. Patrick Moore
In the "Confessions of a Greenpeace Dropout..." video, Moore explains the belief by Greenpeace that humans are the cause of climate change as the major reason for his exit, whereby he expresses his skepticism of this believe countering it with scientific reasons in support of his humanitarian environmentalism belief (Moore, 00:05:35). One of the examples he presents is the CO2 changes which Greenpeace and the Intergovernmental Panel of Climate Change (IPCC) presents as the smoking gun of climate change. According to the "warmists," the CO2 concentration and have increased since the beginning of the industrial revolution from the presumed 280ppm - 400ppm and this change has been a result of the increase in human CO2 emissions. While he agrees to the rise in the concentration, he contests on the human causes denoting that other natural factors are resulting in these changes, which are mostly overlooked due to the conflict of interest by IPCC.
He further explains the importance of CO2 in the air for human and plant existence, encouraging the audience to celebrate the CO2 presence in the atmosphere, therefore contradicting the 'pollutant' aspect of CO2. In support of this assertion, he highlights CO2 emissions from fossil fuels have contributed to the increase in the growth and the productivity of plants around the world as affirmed by scientists to which he postulates that through the emission of CO2 from the fossil fuels, the humans saved life existence in earth, which is compromised with the reduction of CO2 in atmosphere (Moore, 00:19:06- 00:20:50). Additionally, he looks into CO2 concentration levels from 500 million years ago, whereby the concentration was 17 times that of today regardless of lack of human influence then. From my perspective, while the C02 level did not impact climate change in the past doesn't nullify its contribution to this change presently. More so, while Moore outlines the contribution of other factors to climate change, he fails to discuss the changes that they have to undergo to contribute to climate change.
- Behaviour change plan Steps 5 and 6 Life Sciences EssayDescription: On 8th April from 8:00-9: 00 am, I started practicing calmness by breathing in and out for about 5 minutes. I closed my eyes and held my breath for about 5 minutes as I concentrate on increasing the awareness of my feeling. I used 10 minutes trying to identify some of the negative thoughts...1 page/≈275 words| No Sources | MLA | Life Sciences | Essay |
- Audience point of view:the "Green New Deal"Description: Audience point of view:the "Green New Deal" Life Sciences Essay...2 pages/≈550 words| 3 Sources | MLA | Life Sciences | Essay |
- Mosquitos' Gene EditingDescription: Mosquitos' Gene Editing Life Sciences Essay...2 pages/≈550 words| 5 Sources | MLA | Life Sciences | Essay |