Analyzing the Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics (Essay Sample)
Discussion: Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics
As an advanced practice nurse assisting physicians in the diagnosis and treatment of disorders, it is important to not only understand the impact of disorders on the body, but also the impact of drug treatments on the body. The relationships between drugs and the body can be described by pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics.
Pharmacokinetics describes what the body does to the drug through absorption, distribution, metabolism, and excretion, whereas pharmacodynamics describes what the drug does to the body.
Photo Credit: Getty Images/Ingram Publishing
When selecting drugs and determining dosages for patients, it is essential to consider individual patient factors that might impact the patient’s pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic processes. These patient factors include genetics, gender, ethnicity, age, behavior (i.e., diet, nutrition, smoking, alcohol, illicit drug abuse), and/or pathophysiological changes due to disease.
For this Discussion, you reflect on a case from your past clinical experiences and consider how a patient’s pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic processes may alter his or her response to a drug.
• Review the Resources for this module and consider the principles of pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics.
• Reflect on your experiences, observations, and/or clinical practices from the last 5 years and think about how pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic factors altered his or her anticipated response to a drug.
• Consider factors that might have influenced the patient’s pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic processes, such as genetics (including pharmacogenetics), gender, ethnicity, age, behavior, and/or possible pathophysiological changes due to disease.
• Think about a personalized plan of care based on these influencing factors and patient history in your case study.
By Day 3 of Week 1
Post a description of the patient case from your experiences, observations, and/or clinical practice from the last 5 years. Then, describe factors that might have influenced pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic processes of the patient you identified. Finally, explain details of the personalized plan of care that you would develop based on influencing factors and patient history in your case. Be specific and provide examples.
Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics
Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics
Drugs act differently on individuals due to genetic and other system variations. The pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetic knowledge help in understanding the therapeutic dosages for a person based on weight, age, and other variations. Understanding how a drug is distributed and absorbed in various systems, as well as the clearance, helps in understanding what medication to administer and the mode of administration. Most of the drugs are cleared through the hepatic portal pathway. Therefore, patients with organ failure such as kidney and liver may not have an optimal clearance system and this may expose them to drug toxicity (Jang, et al, 2020). The case in this study involves a 65 years old male African American with acute pneumonia. The study describes the basic pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics processes and develops a personalized plan of care based on the patient's characteristics.
- The Scientific and Technical Concepts Related to Nuclear MedicineDescription: Nuclear energy is highly beneficial to humans as a good source of electric power and plays a critical role in constructing weapons. The field of medicine has also tapped this energy to help in illness detection and other ways. Nuclear medicine has provided a reliable approach to treat illnesses...2 pages/≈550 words| 4 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |
- The Life of Working as a DoctorDescription: Motivation to pursue a particular career varies depending on numerous factors. People’s perspectives about life, passion, and getting an exciting career are chief considerations. At a young age, people usually choose to become a doctor due to the reputation given to health practitioners. ...2 pages/≈550 words| 4 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |
- Analyzing the Immigration JournalDescription: Disruption of Afghanistan by political forces has brought terror to lives of the people. The US forces entered Afghanistan two decades ago to seize the operations of the Taliban movement that was characterized by extremist rules. The Americans have faced the challenge of developing a comprehensive strategy...2 pages/≈550 words| 3 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |